#ElaishaGoes to Scotland: Photo Album and City Guide

img_5195-1

Scotland was incredible. I didn’t visit any of the bigger and well-known cities like Edinburgh or Glasglow. We road tripped through Scotland from Aberdeen to Inverness then made a loop to Dundee before heading south to London. I spent most of the trip there gawking out of the car window. I couldn’t believe that a place so beautiful wasn’t listed on destination recommendations everywhere.I have so many pictures and experiences I want to share, but I won’t bombard you. Keep reading for my must-see places in the land of rolling hills and sheep.

How to Get Around

img_5207

My flight from London wasn’t bad at all! British Airways spoiled me, and I was in economy. A hot breakfast of a cheese omelette with toast and a cup of tea (orange juice for me) were all served so nicely. I was thoroughly impressed. And our flight left on time!

img_5208

Buses aren’t always reliable (or even available) in the smaller towns. If you can rent a car, do it. Driving through Scotland was like driving through a story book. I saw double rainbows, yummy restaurants and the cutest sheep. Cabs are not cheap in Dundee, so watch out for that. Oh, and there’s no Uber in certain spots so watch out for that too.

img_5176

Fish and chips and mozzarella sticks. Life was great in Scotland.

img_5197

img_5139

Where to Go
Inverness was my favourite stop on this road trip. The picturesque town wasn’t too touristy when I went. First line of business after a quick nip into Tesco was visiting the castle, which also happened to double as a beautiful lookout point!

img_5191img_5135img_5193

Wearing: Old Navy Leggings, Uniqlo Vest, Uniqlo Shirt, Reebok Woven Furylite Shoes, Champs Men’s Shirt

img_5141-1

Another gem you need to pop into is Leakey’s Bookshop…it was possibly the cutest place I had ever been to. I was in book heaven. It was dead quiet when I explored the library and I loved it. I wish I bought one of the vintage maps or paintings there (they were over 100 years old!).

img_5137

We took a quick stroll about the small ‘downtown’ area. There were several restaurants and more historic buildings to ‘ooo’ and ‘ahh’ over.

img_5142

Where to stay

Tigh Na Coin Beagan was the most memorable spot I rested my head in in Scotland. The owner was super pleasant and his Scottish Terriers were just as friendly.

img_5216

The house was located across from a gorgeous loch and decorated in tartan (carpets, pillows etc.). The view outside of my room was stunning. My window looked over the loch Mhor and the rolling hill behind it.

Where to Hike

Ben Nevis and Falls of Foyers were the two places I went hiking in Scotland. It was recommended to us by the owner of Tigh Na Coin Beagan.

img_5217

Wearing: Columbia Outdry™ EX Gold Trench Jacket, Columbia Leggings, Reebok Woven Furylite Shoes

Falls of Foyers was an easy hike because I took the ‘easy’ way. Otherwise, it would have been a 2-hour journey to the bottom. I prioritized being able to see Ben Nevis that day instead.

img_5170

Wearing: Columbia Leggings, Reebok Woven Furylite Shoes, Columbia Hoodie Shirt, Uniqlo Vest

In Ben Nevis, we hiked for almost half an hour which lead to an incredible clearing that faced the falls. I was in absolute awe of its beauty!

img_5224

Be very careful and wear shoes with intense grip. The trek up was very slippery and wet which I didn’t mind. Sadly my hiking shoes didn’t arrive in time, but these kicks still came through.

Dundee

img_5206

Wearing: Stella Nova Jacket, Old Navy Leggings, Kooba Bag, Reebok Woven Furylite Shoes

Dundee was pretty cool. We swung by the Overgate Centre (which you’ve got to visit, it’s huge) and the high street. I went a bit overboard in M&S, but #YOLO. There was this awesome lookout point too that gave us a view of the city.

img_5223

img_5202

St Andrews
I was nearly hit by a few golf balls, but other than that hazard St Andrews was incredible. It was cute hanging at the place Kate and William fell in love. We grabbed fish and chips and ate by the beach. While my chips were nearly stolen by greedy seagulls, I really enjoyed it there. With old boy’s club establishments and grey stone buildings, I felt like I was in Johnny English or a James Bond movie.  It seemed like a super luxe spot (for a University town). I’d definitely visit again with more time to explore.

img_5203

img_5166

Wearing: Zara Jacket, Thrifted Scarf Old Navy Leggings, Kooba Bag, Reebok Woven Furylite Shoes

img_5229

I can’t wait to return to Scotland and tour the northern coast and also hit the bigger cities. Is there anywhere I visited that stood out to you? Comment down below with whether you’d like to visit!

*Some clothes worn in this post were provided free of charge, all opinions are my own.

16 Comments

• Elaisha
      October 24, 2016 / 10:50 pm

No, thank you for reading 🙂

1. October 25, 2016 / 3:51 am

It looks gorgeous! I’ve driven past Inverness but didn’t have time to stop – I definitely want to go back and explore the town. I really enjoyed your tips – lots of useful info.

• Elaisha
      October 25, 2016 / 11:06 am

Please do! It’s a lovely spot that’s extremely picturesque.

2. October 25, 2016 / 7:33 am

That looked like a fun roadtrip! How many days did you spend on the road? And if you don’t mind, could I have an idea how much the rental car costs with the petrol? I might just add this to my roadtrip list and make a budget for it!

• Elaisha
      October 25, 2016 / 11:05 am

Only 4 days. But sadly I don’t have information about rentals since my friend lives in Scotland we used his car. But I definitely recommend going on a road trip. It’s the best way to see the sights!

3. October 25, 2016 / 7:44 am

I love Scotland – it’s a country with such a rich history and lovely countryside. The downside is the weather can be a little dreary, depending on what time of year you’re visiting. But it looks like you’ve found the perfect spot indoors at Leakey’s Bookshop.

• Elaisha
      October 25, 2016 / 11:09 am

Yes, it rained off and on while I was there. But in the summer it wasn’t too dreary. It was pretty chilly though! Thankfully London and Barcelona were pretty warm.

4. October 25, 2016 / 10:56 am

That bookstore is beautiful! It’s a good thing I’m always traveling with just a carry on, or I’m sure I’d be tempted to buy way too much.

It’s so easy to forget about Scotland when I go to the UK – I end up in London and Dublin pretty regularly, but haven’t gotten out of the cities in ages. Maybe I have to fit in a detour to Scotland the next time I go.

• Elaisha
      October 25, 2016 / 11:08 am

Please do! You won’t regret it. I wish I spent more time in Scotland. It was honestly a dream there.

5. October 25, 2016 / 3:48 pm

I have only been to Scitland one which was a day trip to Edinburgh. I’m sad I didn’t have more time and to explore other area like you did. Inverness is one for my list.

• Elaisha
      October 25, 2016 / 4:18 pm

Please do visit! It was incredible.

6. October 25, 2016 / 4:58 pm

I loved Scotland and spent a great 2 weeks there. Inverness is pretty special. I stayed up there and enjoyed the rustic hotel right beside the largest Nessie souvenir shop in the town. I found the highlands breathtaking even in the rainy weather I experienced. You have lovely photos in your post!

7. October 26, 2016 / 12:28 am

Scotland looks perfect on your photos. True enough, these photos were like stepping into story books. I would take note about the tip of not getting the cab since it’s expensive. Maybe I’ll stick to ren a car when I have the chance to visit. 🙂

• Elaisha
      October 26, 2016 / 8:53 am

Definitely! Rent a car and you’ll have the chance to see all that Scotland has to offer beyond the big cities.

8. October 26, 2016 / 11:07 pm

Like driving through a story book….what a lovely image that creates! I have not ventured this far north in the UK, but would love to. It sounds like you had a wonderful adventure.